Monday 4 February 2013

Harry Clarke - Poe Illustrations 2

To go with the previous post (here) on Harry Clarke's monotone illustrations for Edgar Allan Poe' Tales of Mystery and Imagination, here are the eight colour illustrations. They are, like the others, so beautiful! I am especially fond of the picture for The Tell-tale Heart, for that is my favourite of Poe's stories; Clarke's illustration is just as I imagined the scene to look, yet actually slightly creepier! The murderer's toes are rather scary. I have seen a copy of Poe's book with the 24 monotone illustrations, and what a lovely book!, but never one with the coloured plates as well. That would be wonderful but I assume quite expensive. And also, the beautiful pictures wouldn't be seen - I would rather put the pictures up on my wall. I might just do that... with some nice gold frames.









1 comment: