Saturday 12 January 2013

1890's Photograph Album

Oh, how I love charity shops! I have recently bought an old photograph album. Though it was mostly void of photos and has significant water damage, I still could not resist and bought it for £9 - a bargain I think! It is a lovely old thing - a really big and heavy book, leather with a nice clasp and everything. I have done some research and concluded that the album is from the 1890s. Very old indeed!




I was disappointed at first to see that the album was empty, but as I turned over the last page I found this photograph...

A mysterious man... how intriguing!

What a fine young gentleman! I wonder who he was, and why was his the only photo left? To try to answer that; the dampness had fused the photograph to the paper backing, but if he was that important surely somebody could have cut it out or something? And the water damage seems to be  a later addition to the album... I wonder who owned this book, what family did it belong to? Ah, so many questions which will never be answered! It is indeed a mystery!

I cannot bear to see this photo album empty, and the young gentleman on his own, so I have decided to find some old photographs, preferably ones from the later Victorian era. I will post any photos I manage to find.
Best Wishes








No comments:

Post a Comment