Sunday 13 January 2013

Photograph Album Update

I have recently become the proud owner of a late Victorian photograph album (explanatory post here). Today I have found some photos to put in the album. Every Sunday after church, I go down to my local flea market in Tynemouth Station; it is full of vintage and handmade stalls, antiques, records and utter junk. Mostly junk. However, there are always some great finds - I was lucky enough to discover a box of old family photographs. Bought two carte de visites that I found interesting.



The first is of a young woman, probably local; for the studio was in Sunderland. I chose this one because I found her dress interesting. The belt with three buckles, the bells at the neck and down the skirt, the snake bracelet. A very nice outfit overall. What intrigued me most, though, was the whistle attached to the buttons. What could it be for? I do not know for sure but the costume looks to be mid/late 1880's early 90's maybe? It has quite a military feel to it, with the belt and whistle, but it is probably just fashion. I wonder who this woman was, what her occupation was? Her hands look as though she did some sort of labour (though she could just have big hands) and she does not look high class. It would be nice to find out more about this woman, for she seems rather interesting.



This second portrait I bought less for curiosity, but for that it is just a lovely portrait. This young woman too is local; the photographers is in Newcastle. I love her dress - looks like early 1890's. I like the that the fabric of the skirt matches the blouse. The collar, laced cuffs and bodice are beautiful additions and make this dress really lovely and unusual. I wonder if this photo was taken for the young woman's sweetheart, perhaps, or for family. I do wish it to be the former - I am such a romantic... sad, I know.

Very pleased with my photographs - they fit perfectly in the album and look about right for the period. Even though I love collecting old photographs, I cannot help feeling a little disrespectful for they are such personal things. It is sad to think that these people are dead and we know nothing of there lives save for what they looked like. Not even a name. I wonder what they would think knowing that their photographs were in a cardboard box in a flea market. I like to think that by buying these portraits I am keeping some sort of memory safe, whereas if not the photos would get mistreated and lost. Ah, maybe I am thinking too much into it now. I digress.
If anybody may have some information or I have got something wrong, like dates or costumes etc,  it would be lovely to know. Updates coming in the future when I find more photographs.
Best Wishes.

2 comments:

  1. You have a nice blog, I love your cover photo it ooozes with vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. phwell! Thankyou my hepcat! I shall be commenting on your blog :)

      Delete