Tuesday 20 November 2012

A Victorian Movember

 Movember is here - I am enjoying seeing so many moustaches! I like Movember this year; I had not really heard about it last November, but this year it seems to be much more publicised. I am very glad - anything that raises money for charity and awareness for men's health is a good thing. And what better way than getting men to grow a moustache! A grand idea I do think. Here is a short selection of my favorite moustaches from the Victorian era.

Ah! The delights of Victorian advertising!

This rather disgruntled gentleman seems to have let his moustache grow a bit wild... maybe he could have done with some of Carter's Thrixaline.

What has happened to this man's handlebar moustache? - it was going so well, the photographer should have discreetly pointed out the imperfection in his facial hair before taking the photo... or did it droop during a long exposure?

The amazing Dante Gabriel Rossetti sported a fine moustache indeed! What style this man had.

Ah, the legend that is Edgar Allan Poe! His moustache seems to be rather lopsided... I suppose he can be excused by writing such great stories. 

Look at this fine gentleman! It made my day to see this handsome and proud owner of delightful facial hair.

I commend the gentlemen who have decided to grow a moustache for this year's Movember. Well Done to you! If you would like to find out more or maybe donate to this good cause have a look at the website:  http://uk.movember.com/ If you wish to see more fine exaples of Victorian Moustaches then have a look at this delightful and witty blog:  http://mustachesofthenineteenthcentury.blogspot.co.uk/
May you have a happy Movember!

No comments:

Post a Comment