Sunday 25 November 2012

Rossetti Drawings Part 1

Dante Gabriel Rossetti is perhaps my favourite Pre-Raphaelite artist. I cannot describe how much I love and admire his art. Though his paintings are the most famous of his works, I have recently discovered the wealth of beautiful drawings that Rossetti drew in the later and darker years of his life.

This is a portrait of an unidentified man 1870, the same model for Found. I love the expression and the defined features of the face. A very handsome gentleman with lovely hair.

Two lovely drawings of Fanny Cornforth. The first, from the warm colours, I think, is quite intimate and emphatic. The second is more dignified, the earring and plaited hair are beautifully detailed.


A beautiful portrait of Marie Spartali Stillman. What lovely hair she had!

 There are so many beautiful drawings, too many to put in one post. I will dedicate the next couple of posts to drawings of certain models - Jane Morris and Lizzie Siddal to come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment